Techniquest is the Regional Co-ordinator for Nuffield Research Placements in Wales. The scheme helps students gain experience during their summer holidays in industry or research institutions covering Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths (STEM) projects. Research placements are offered to Year 12 students by the Nuffield Foundation.
Selected students are able to:
- carry out a four to six week project in an area of science or technology that interests them
- complete a placement which is nationally recognised by admission tutors in universities and for future employers
- demonstrate capability and responsibility
- apply skills acquired at school or college and acquire new skills
- experience a professional environment.
Students accepted on the scheme have to submit a project report and complete a feedback questionnaire. A celebration day is held in September/ October, when students are asked to display their project work. A certificate is issued to all students.
During their Nuffield Research Placement, it may be possible for students to undertake a British Science Association Creativity in Science and Technology (CREST) award. This is a nationally recognised award that has currency on UCAS forms.
All students must apply using the official application form.
- Maintained school students apply for a project arranged by the regional co-ordinator, indicating their areas of interest, eg: biology, engineering.
- Students from independent schools are asked to set up their own project placements with the help of their own contacts or contacts provided by the school, with guidance from the Nuffield Coordinator.
All students will be offered reimbursement for any travel expenses incurred during their placement. Students who meet the criteria for a Full Bursary will receive £80 per week in addition to this. The criteria are set out on the application form.
Please note this is a competitive scheme and placements cannot be guaranteed even if the student or teacher sources a project provider.
For further details, contact your Regional Co-ordinator at:
- Techniquest, Stuart Street, Cardiff, CF10 5BW
- T (029) 20 475 475
Project Providers 2012
- Cardiff University School of Medicine
- Cardiff University School of Biosciences
- Cardiff University School of Computer Science & Informatics
- Cardiff University School of Physics & Astronomy
- Cardiff University School of Engineering
- Cardiff University School of Optometry & Vision Sciences
- Bangor University
- Aberystwyth University Centre for Widening Participation & Social Inclusion
- Swansea University Department of Geography
- Q Chip Ltd
- EADS, Newport
- National Museum Wales Department of Geology
- The Welsh Mountain Zoo